Saturday 24 January 2015

Spicy Food Makes Me Cry

I have always disliked spicy food but until this year, I didn't think there was any problem in that. I was never criticized by my family for consistently choosing mild, or for running to get water if I ate a barbecue chip. (I also have been spelling barbecue wrong my entire life so thank you TOK for helping me with that). When I got a Foods class this year I was not aware that apparently EVERYONE IN THE WORLD likes spicy foods and I was just weak. My group and I argued many times about the amount of spice to add to each dish. They didn't feel satisfied until their mouths were burning, I almost cried when I smelled a hot pepper. Eating spicy foods was somewhat of a contest for them, in that they tried to eat the spiciest food possible without needing to drink any water or admitting defeat. In the end since there were four of them and only one of me, I ended up suffering through a lot of jalapenos and tabasco sauce. It really sucked. The End.

Questions:

  • Do emotions affect the way we perceive taste? 
  • To what extent is intuition a factor for our food preferences?
  • Can the natural sciences determine how food universally tastes?
  • To what extent are our food preferences affected by our families or the people with which we associate?

2 comments:

  1. I think there is a special spicyness scale. Yes, it is the scoville scale.
    http://www.chilliworld.com/factfile/scoville_scale.asp
    I wonder which poor bloke had the job of trying every spicy thing and ranking them in terms of hear
    Is there a specific biological or genetic trait which makes people less tolerant of spicy food? (Similar to Priya’s cilantro gene)

    ReplyDelete